Today was the day. The day to determine if our baby is still growing or if we would be doing a D&C. There was three ways this could have played out this morning. 1. The baby is growing and the heart rate is up and everything looks great. 2. The baby stopped growing and there is no heart rate and we do the D&C. 3. There was little or no change from last Friday.
Well we got the one that I wish we hadn’t gotten. We got number 3. There was still a heartbeat and the baby was still there but there was not as much growth as we would have liked.
First let me say that my doctor has two offices in town – one on one end and one on the other. Today we went to the office that I have never been to before. This was where the ultrasound tech was today. So no big deal, right? Well we got into the room and I immediately noticed that the ultrasound machine was different. I asked about it and G said “It’s an older machine but it will allow us to see what we need to see.” So we started. I noticed right away that the picture was not as good as the other machine. It was much more grainy and darker. G looked around and then we got a fairly good shot of the baby. We saw the heartbeat again and G did all kinds of measurements. Finally she said the baby is measuring 6w2d and the heart rate was 109. This is up slightly from Friday but not as much as we wanted it to be. D and I could see that the size of the baby looked much bigger than last time even though G said its only 1 day bigger.
So I wonder how accurate the machine was. I wonder how much of a difference the machines have in each one of them. Would the baby have measured the same if we were on the other machine that is more up to date? I just can’t help but wonder. When you are talking about mere centimeters I would think it would be most accurate to measure the same thing on the same machine. Maybe I am over thinking all of this but I just wonder.
So after the ultrasound we talked with G for a while. I asked what this meant and she said she didn’t know. I asked if she has ever seen a baby measuring small before turn out to be okay in the end. She said yes but that was with women who didn’t know their exact dates. I asked about the possibility of developmental issues or genetic problems and she said there is a test they can do now that is really new. Its called the Harmony test and it takes blood from me and can test the baby. She didn’t go into very many details but she said it is not offered to everyone but it would definitely be offered to us in this situation. She said it can be done at like 10-12 weeks to see where things are going. This helped answer a few of the many questions I have.
We then talked to the doctor. We decided to put everything on hold until we get back from vacation. I am not showing any signs of miscarriage and the baby seems to be growing – slowly – but growing. We need to give it more time. She said to go enjoy our vacation and if we have any problems to call her. I will then go back in next Thursday after our vacation for another ultrasound. This should give us a better idea of where we will go from there. So it is more waiting. The one thing I am SOO not good at. I think this is God trying to teach me patience. At this point there is still no guarantee but we have hope and we will continue to fight for this little baby. It’s not over till it’s over – and it’s not over!